Chemistry Assessment Test
The Chemistry assessment test (placement into CHEM 111AF) is a multiple-choice paper/pencil test with 44 questions and a 45 minute time limit. Books and notes are not allowed, but basic calculators are permitted. The Periodic Table of the Elements and a table of symbols and abbreviations are provided on the back of each test booklet.
Competency areas of the test are: Compounds and elements; states of matter; reactions of matter; structure of matter; periodic properties; solutions; qualitative kinetics and thermodynamics; lab skills, mathematical skills.
To determine if you have the appropriate background for this course, look at the first four chapters of the CHEM 111AF textbook. All chemistry instructors have a copy of this textbook. If the material in the first four chapters of the CHEM 111AF text seem foreign, you might be enrolling in the wrong class. You might need to review some of the chemical principles in the textbook used for this course and basic math operations discussed in the Appendix of the textbook. Some knowledge of computers will be helpful.
Be aware that it is expected that upon placement into CHEM 111AF you will have mastered the content of an Introductory Chemistry course (such as CHEM 107 F).and be able to:
- Perform unit conversion problems
- Apply chemical nomenclature
- Illustrate basic atomic theory
- Write and balance chemical equations
- Propose total and net ionic equations
- Demonstrate solving basic stoichiometric problems
- Calculate empirical and molecular formulas from percentage composition data 8. Identify fundamental gas laws
- Draw elementary Lewis structures
- Calculate the molar masses of compounds
- Express numbers in scientific notational form
- Solve linear equations
- Demonstrate factoring expressions, including finding the greatest common factor
- Evaluate and solve logarithmic problems
- Create algebraic expressions from word problems
- Interpret graphs
- Design graphs for linear expressions
- Follow safe practices in the laboratory
The test may be taken only once. Please allow two business days for your test results, results and clearance for the course is done in the Counseling Center.